Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Drive

Prior to this week it had been unusually dry here on the ranch. There have been a lot of animals moving to find water. On my way to my early Sunday meetings last week I came across the fellow pictured below. He/she (not sure) had lost a battle with a car (not confirming nor denying that it was my car). Recognize it? It is a coral snake. I have wanted to see one since I moved here, but they are rarely spotted. Coral snakes "possess one of the most poisonous venoms of any North American snake." Remember the old saying? Red on black, friend of Jack. Red on yellow, kill a fellow.

I was told that several years ago a youth leader was out visiting the ranch with his youth group and they found one. The leader didn't know enough to recognize what type it was and while catching it and showing it to the youth he got bit. He did not survive.

1 comments:

The Shirleys said...

I saw a corral snake once in Texas, but it wasn't that big or that dead. Way to go Scott!