Saturday, January 2, 2010

In the Doghouse

Janna is good at constructing things. She develops projects in her mind and thinks through the process of how to make it happen. I usually play the part of mocking the idea and giving her a hard time about her crazy ideas. Almost always, she pulls it off turning me into the fool. The doghouse was no exception.
Why build a doghouse when you can buy one? Come on, there are people who build this type of thing for a living; they build, we buy. It's an orderly, working system. I have no idea why my wife cannot grasp this. The doghouse battle encompassed this difference of opinion between her and I. I decided to sacrifice the initial battle for the good of the war. So I found myself at Lowe's on Black Friday picking up a compressor, table saw, and miter saw. They were on an incredible sale, but still the total came to double what a good doghouse would cost (and I was sure in the end we'd be buying a doghouse anyway, resulting in a triumphal "I told you so" moment).
So, the next Saturday morning, using scrap wood that Janna begged off a construction worker at a construction site, Janna and I begin Project "In the Doghouse". There were robust disagreements, a few compromises and somewhere along the way I forgot that this wasn't supposed to be fun and fulfilling. AND....something went wrong because at the end of the day the finished product actually resembled a doghouse...and a good one at that! In actuality, it turned out better than any of the ones I saw for sale. So I have a nice doghouse and new tools as well.

2 comments:

Terri Smith said...

Very Good. I need more stories though.

The Shirleys said...

Yeah! I can leave comments now. Where to begin?
We love your stinkin guts...you make us laught...you are the high light of our day...Love, Us